What is primer and when should I use it?
A primer is designed to prepare bare metal, wood, canvas or other materials to create a smooth surface for which your Krylon® spray paint will be applied. A primer should be used on projects in order to seal the surface which will help:
- Smoothen out uneven blemishes
- Increase spray paint adhesion
- Improve corrosion resistance
- Ensure the true color of the spray paint
Why Should I Use A Primer?
Generally, using a primer improves the amount of coverage you get from a can of Krylon spray paint and it provides additional benefits for the following surfaces:
- Metal – Increases corrosion resistance on bare metal surfaces
- Wood – Helps avoid an uneven paint finish by allowing for even penetration of bare wood surfaces
To help cut down on project time, Krylon offers Krylon® Dual™ Paint + Primer, which allows you to prime and paint in one step.
Find primers specific to your project specifications by searching a variety of Krylon products.
Still have questions about Krylon’s protective clear coatings? Ask Krylon for expert advice.