By Lori Bergmann
- Project Time: 1 hr
- Skill Level: 1 2 3 4 5
- View Larger Project Image
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint - Black (#51601)
- Krylon Easy-Tack™ Repositionable Adhesive - Clear (#7020)
- Fleur De Lis stencil set (Delta Creative)
- Silver Studs (The Vintage Workshop)
- Grey cotton t-shirt
- Plain scrap paper (with no printing or color on it — white copy paper works great)
- Painter’s tape
- Thick cardboard sheet (approximately 13” × 17”)
Spray back of stencil with Easy-Tack.
Place cardboard sheet inside shirt and carefully fold excess fabric underneath. Press fleur de lis area of stencil firmly to upper center portion of shirt. Mask off areas you do not want painted with paper and painter’s tape.
Spray over stencil with Gloss Black paint, then carefully remove stencil and let dry completely.
Embellish design on shirt with iron-on metallic studs (or you could use glue on accents or pronged rhinestones)
- Do not use printed newspaper or dyed paper as a masking material, as the colors may transfer onto project when painting.
- It is critical to allow the paint the dry completely between paint and stencil applications, or the design may smear when the stencil is applied and removed.
- Clean up small areas by spraying some paint into a puddle on plastic wrap or a can lid, then dip into it with a small paintbrush and apply to the design where needed.
- To protect fabric from paint overspray, place project on an old towel and bring edges up and around area to be painted.