By Barbara Swanson
- Project Time: 2.5 hrs
- Skill Level: 1 2 3 4 5
- View Larger Project Image
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Primer - Gray (#51318)
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint - Black (#51601)
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint - Pumpkin Orange (#52411)
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint - Tuscan Sunset (#53535)
- Krylon Fluorescent Paint - Yellow-Orange (#3102)
- Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic - Clear (#1303)
- Assorted clean metal cans (models made using 1–2 lb. coffee cans)
- Awl and wooden mallet
- One ½" flat brush
- Votive candle (one per pumpkin)
- 19 gauge steel wire, darkened anneated (approx. 1½–2½ ft. per pumpkin)
*Please Note: Inside of can has rough edges. Do not let children play with these.
- Sponges (slightly dampen before use)
- Paper plate
- Drop cloth
- Fill can to ¾" from top with water. Freeze.
- Use marker to draw pumpkin face on can. Carefully punch holes along marked line, 1/8"– ¼" apart, using awl and mallet. Punch two holes for handle at top. Thaw ice and remove from can. Wipe dry.
- Spray inside and outside of can with Gray Primer. Let dry.
- Spray inside of can with Gloss Black. Let dry.
- Spray outside of can with desired orange base color. Let dry.
- Spray a puddle of Fluorescent paint on paper plate. Sponge paint randomly over outside of can. Let dry.
- Spray a puddle of Tuscan Sunset paint on paper plate. Sponge onto cheek area at corners of mouth. Let dry.
- Spray a puddle of Gloss Black paint on paper plate. Use brush to apply paint to eyes, nose, and mouth. Let dry.
- Spray two coats of Crystal Clear, allowing to dry between coats.
- Cut a length of wire 6–8" longer than desired size. Create loops by coiling wire around pencil. Attach wire through handle holes. Wrap ends to secure; trim off excess wire.
- Place candle inside can and light.